from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or containing iron, especially with valence 2 or a valence lower than in a corresponding ferric compound.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or containing iron.
- adj. Of compounds of iron in which it has a valence or oxidation number of 2.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Pertaining to, or derived from, iron; -- especially used of compounds of iron in which the iron has its lower valence of two.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to or obtained from iron; specifically, pertaining to iron in the bivalent condition: contrasted with ferric (which see).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or relating to or containing iron
From Latin ferrum ("iron") (Wiktionary)