from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Celsius. See Table at measurement.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Having 100 divisions between two fixed points.
- adj. Celsius.
- n. A centigrade temperature scale having the freezing point of water defined as 0° and its boiling point defined as 100° at standard atmospheric pressure. Now known as the Celsius scale.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Consisting of a hundred degrees; graduated into a hundred divisions or equal parts.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Consisting of a hundred degrees; graduated into a hundred divisions or equal parts: often placed after the noun which it qualifies, like troy, avoirdupois, etc.
- Pertaining to the scale which is divided into a hundred degrees: as, a centigrade degree. Its abbreviation is C.: as, 35° C.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or relating to a temperature scale on which the freezing point of water is 0 degrees and the boiling point of water is 100 degrees
French : centi-, centi- + grade, degree (from Italian grado, rank, degree, from Latin gradus, step; see ghredh- in Indo-European roots).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)