from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The second letter of the Hebrew alphabet. See Table at alphabet.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. ב (second letter of the Aramaic and Hebrew alphabet)
- n. 𐤁 (second letter of the Phoenician abjad)
- n. ܒ (second letter of the Syriac abjad)
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. the 2nd letter of the Hebrew alphabet.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Be ye.
- n. The second letter () of the Hebrew alphabet, corresponding to the English B. Its numerical value is II.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the 2nd letter of the Hebrew alphabet
Hebrew bêt, of Phoenician origin; see byt in Semitic roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Middle Bronze Age picture of a house by acrophony, ultimately Proto-Semitic *bayt- (“house”). (Wiktionary)