American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The small, edible, purplish-black fruit of the common American elder (Sambucus canadensis), sometimes used to make wine or preserves.
- n. A shrub or tree that bears elderberries.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The purplish-black drupaceous fruit of the elder, Sambucus nigra and S. Canadensis, having an acidulous and sweetish taste, and used for making a kind of wine. The inspissated juice is employed as an aperient and a diuretic.
- n. elder; a shrub or tree of the genus Sambucus
- n. the small, edible, purplish-black fruit of this plant used in cooking and to flavour drinks etc
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Bot.) The berrylike drupe of the elder. That of the Old World elder (Sambucus nigra) and that of the American sweet elder (S. Canadensis) are sweetish acid, and are eaten as a berry or made into wines or jellies.
- n. the European variety of elder (see 3rd elder), a common black-fruited shrub or small tree of Europe and Asia; the fruit is used for wines and jellies.
- n. berrylike fruit of an elder used for e.g. wines and jellies
- n. a common shrub with black fruit or a small tree of Europe and Asia; fruit used for wines and jellies
“The brilliant yellow foliage of the Amsonia combined with the dark foliage of the elderberry is a knock-out combination.”
“Dixon-Cravens is also a fan of elderberry, which is the active ingredient in GNC's new ViraBloc lozenges.”
“There were 2 types of jam, one that looked like blueberry and the other looked like figs. I went for the blueberry (later found out it is called elderberry) jam as that seemed to be the popular one.”
“Did you perhaps go to medline and type the words "elderberry" and "H1N1"?”
“I would make a dish that includes four ofIllinois' greatest wild ingredients: Whitetail venison tenderloin with morel mushrooms and ramps, dressed with an elderberry gastrique.”
“I would make a dish that includes four ofÂIllinois' greatest wild ingredients: Whitetail venison tenderloin with morel mushrooms and ramps, dressed with an elderberry gastrique.”
“We eat cakes made of elderberry, elk fat, ashes and nettle.”
“Police have broken down doors, screamed obscenities, and held innocent people at gunpoint only to discover that what they thought were marijuana plants were really sunflowers, hibiscus, ragweed, tomatoes, or elderberry bushes.”
“The 20,000-square-foot spa also uses local, antioxidant-rich wild elderberries and elderberry flowers in facials, and grows heirloom-variety herbs that are incorporated into services.$145 for 50 minutes, $190 for 80 minutes, osthoff.com”
“Add salt and vinegar from the elderberry capers until highly seasoned and continue to add oil until the emulsion becomes thick.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘elderberry’.
In this area of expertise nouns are frequently used as adjectives (almond, bacon, cider, diesel, fennel, fresh-cut hay, wool) or new adjectives are formed (appley, berrylike, citrusy, full-bodied, ...
Different kinds of berries. In particular it's a list of those with -berry in the name, regardless of whether they are true berries or not. According to Schlockipedia, the botanical class of berrie...
These chromonyms are defined as colors in at least one dictionary (mostly MW3). (Actually there's one fake, for reasons I'll explain someday.) They are all one-word nouns such as "kelly", which can...
A bunch of fruits.
Transforming our yard into a place for living things. The list and the yard will grow in tandem. I will add only as I plant (or discover volunteers).
words that evoke magic, mystery, mayhem, magnificence or anything else that glimmers in the grass
Flora, fauna and other things common in the time and place where I grew up
All fruits are not created equal. Nor are all words for fruits. These are my favorite fruit words and not necessarily my favorite fruits!
I like fruit. And I like the names of fruits – well, of these fruits at least.
A list made in honor of my son, who likes to eat it. A lot. Today he's had blueberries, apples, bananas, and watermelon, and that was just in his first two hours awake. Limited to fruit I could thi...
Looking for tweets for elderberry.