from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Greek Mythology Of or relating to the underworld.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Dwelling within or under the earth.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Pertaining to the earth; earthy.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to the under world.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. dwelling beneath the surface of the earth
From Greek khthonios, of the earth, from khthōn, earth; see dhghem- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Ancient Greek χθών (khthōn, "ground"). (Wiktionary)