from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Pertaining to the underworld; being beneath the earth.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Designating, or pertaining to, gods or spirits of the underworld; esp., relating to the underworld gods of the Greeks, whose worship is widely considered as more primitive in form than that of the Olympian gods. The characteristics of chthonian worship are propitiatory and magical rites and generalized or euphemistic names of the deities, which are supposed to have been primarily ghosts.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or relating to the under world; subterranean.
- Springing from the earth.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. dwelling beneath the surface of the earth
From Ancient Greek χθόνιος (khthonios, "in or under the ground"), from χθών (khthōn, "ground"). (Wiktionary)