from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of comb.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act or process of using a comb or a number of combs.
- n. That which is caught or collected with a comb, as loose, tangled hair.
- n. Hair arranged to be worn on the head.
- n. See Coamings.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of using a comb.
- n. The process of carding wool. See card, transitive verb, and carding-machine.
- n. The process of hackling flax.
- n. Graining on wood.
- n. That which is removed by combing or carding: generally in the plural: as, the combings of wool or hair.
- n. Hair combed over a bald part of the head.
- n. Same as coaming.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of drawing a comb through hair
Sorry, no etymologies found.
This is the second process of combing, and is called _combing_.
Feeling myself more fevered than hungry, I determined on spending the time in combing my hair and washing my face and hands with vinegar.
Combing wools are so called because they are prepared for spinning  into yarn by the process of "combing" -- that is, the fibers are made to lie parallel with one another preparatory to being spun into thread.
They clip from six to seven pounds of wool, suitable for combing, which is longer than South Down wool, but less fine.
They are all obtained in the process of combing, that is, the process which separates the long from the short fibers; the former are known as the "top," and are used in worsted and in the production of mohair and alpaca yarns; while the latter are used to advantage in the production of many different kinds of woolen fabrics.
The combing is the process of arranging the fibers of wool, mohair, cotton, linen, into a parallel condition, preparatory to spinning into a smooth, even and regular yarn.
There was a good deal of waste in this combing, that is, large clumps of tangled wool called noil were combed out.
Natroba™ is a novel therapy that does not require nit combing, which is very tedious and time consuming.
DICAPac, a waterproof case and word combing Dica and Pac (pack), is a product of DICAPac Inc., which first seeks the safety of digital equipment.
The 26 September news website, quoting an unnamed government source, said Yemeni forces had destroyed a "terrorist den" in the northern Saada region on Thursday in what was described as a combing operation by security forces and military.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.