American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To talk casually; chat.
- v. Psychology To fill in gaps in one's memory with fabrications that one believes to be facts.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To talk familiarly together; chat; prattle.
- v. intransitive To speak casually with; to chat.
- v. intransitive To confer.
- v. intransitive, psychology To fabricate memories in order to fill gaps in one's memory.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To talk familiarly together; to chat; to prattle.
- v. have a conference in order to talk something over
- v. unconsciously replace fact with fantasy in one's memory
- v. talk socially without exchanging too much information
- Latin cōnfābulārī, cōnfābulāt- : com-, com- + fābulārī, to talk (from fābula, conversation; see fable). (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“I sketch rather than describe in detail, letting the readers confabulate to fill in the whole picture.”
“Rogue artists who confabulate our notions of what art is and isn't are always going to come along, and we should be grateful for them, even encourage them.”
“Henry Sidgwick, you are not only highly selective in the questions you choose to answer, you evade answering the questions, prevaricate and confabulate.”
“Here are the facts that Spencer has managed to confabulate on his website's rendition of events:”
“I simply think she should not confabulate and reinvent her position.”
“Now you can confabulate about the inner workings of his mind when he composed Quixote if you want.”
“AP has the right, with the First Amendment, to report like this, and the crazy congressman has the right to confabulate his fantasies about Obama.”
“People who confabulate are confronted directly often lash out at their questioners, which in President Bush's case could be a disaster for us all.”
“In order to justify their behavior they confabulate, make up a variety of lies in order to manage real and imagined questioning.”
“Untreated alcoholics confabulate; they make things up as they go along.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘confabulate’.
Collected from reading
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
Discombobulate-enkindled 'ulate' words.
every major discipline has uniquely developed esoteric nomenclature to facilitate interdisciplinary dissemination
During the month of October, post at least 10 new words to this list. Make sure you cite where you read the word (book/author/pg) and quote the context/sentence where you found it. If someone has a...
My big word list.
Discombobulating the illiterate since the middle of the last century.
cool mint antiseptic
Looking for tweets for confabulate.