from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An unbranched slender green freshwater alga.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any unbranched, slender, green plant of the fresh-water algae. The word is frequently used in a wider sense.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A genus in which the older botanists placed many very heterogeneous species of filamentous cryptogams.
- n. [lowercase; pl. confervæ (-vē).] The common name of plants of this genus.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of various algae of the genus Tribonema; algae with branching filaments that form scum in still or stagnant fresh water
Latin, a kind of water plant (?). See comfrey. (Wiktionary)