from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A governmental building or office where customs are collected and ships are cleared for entering or leaving the country.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative spelling of custom house.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The building where customs and duties are paid, and where vessels are entered or cleared.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A governmental office located at a point of exportation and importation, as a seaport, for the collection of customs, the clearance of vessels, etc.
- n. The whole governmental establishment by means of which the customs revenue is collected and its regulations are enforced.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a government building where customs are collected and where ships are cleared to enter or leave the country
Sorry, no etymologies found.