from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small boat used to peddle provisions to ships anchored offshore.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a small boat used for carrying provisions to ships lying at anchor in a harbour
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A clumsy boat, used for conveying provisions, fruit, etc., for sale, to vessels lying in port or off shore.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A boat used in peddling fresh vegetables, fruit, and small wares among the vessels lying in a harbor or roadstead.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a small boat that ferries supplies and commodities for sale to a larger ship at anchor
Probably partial translation of Low German bumboot, ship's boat, partial translation of Dutch dialectal bomschuit, small fishing boat : bom, ship's bottom (from Dutch bodem, from Middle Dutch) + schuit, ship.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Dutch bomschuit ("small fishing boat") + boat. (Wiktionary)