from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The bed on which a person dies.
- n. The last hours before death.
- idiom on (one's) deathbed Close to death.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The bed on which someone dies
- n. The last hours before death
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The bed in which a person dies; hence, the closing hours of life of one who dies by sickness or the like; the last sickness.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The bed on which a person dies or is confined in his last sickness.
- n. Hence A person's last sickness; sickness ending in death.
- Of or pertaining to a death-bed, or to the circumstances of a person's death.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the last few hours before death
- n. the bed on which a person dies
You know, that last week people make what they call deathbed appointments, deathbed pardons.
A deathbed is a matter of nerves and constitution and not of religion.
He was too dangerous to be released a few weeks ago, but now Jack Straw, in his infinite mercy and wisdom, is prepared to let Biggs die in relative freedom - well, as free as any man can be on his deathbed, that is.
The good father also believed that the last struggle of Champlain on his deathbed was a prophecy.
Learning how to breathe correctly on your deathbed is a bit late in the game for health and longevity.
The power of witness and duty that Will awarded me on his deathbed was an integral part of what I knew and must live to say.
One of her favorites is a macabre conceit of her own called the deathbed Oscar.
His deathbed is a rope, four strong nails have killed his hope of climbing down
And all the exercises of his deathbed were the prolonged and brightening experience of what he here describes.
Our dinner was spread on the floor in Lady Hester's favourite apartment; her deathbed was our sideboard, her furniture our fuel; her name our conversation.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.