American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. Botany To open at definite places, discharging seeds, pollen, or other contents, as the ripe capsules or pods of some plants.
- v. Medicine To rupture or break open, as a surgical wound.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To gape; specifically, in botany, to open, as the capsules of plants.
- v. intransitive, botany To burst or split open at definite places, discharging seeds, or pollen, or other contents, as the ripe pods of some plants.
- v. intransitive, medicine To rupture or break open, as a surgical wound.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To gape; to open by dehiscence.
- v. burst or split open
- From Latin de- + hiscere to split, from hiare to be open, related to hiatus (Wiktionary)
- Latin dehīscere : dē-, de- + hīscere, to split, inchoative of hiāre, to be open. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“A major concern had been that the sutured tissue would break down, or dehisce.”
“The anther must dehisce (burst open) before pollen grains can be released.”
“Koa pods are slow to dehisce and about 15 cm long and 25 to 4 cm wide.”
“Bundles of unthreshed grains or pulses can be treated with smoke, but care must be taken that they do not dehisce while in storage.”
“At this time the pods are ready to dehisce, or pop open to distribute the seeds.”
“Pods of some crops such as peas, do not easily dehisce, but others, such as arugola, do so at the slightest touch, throwing seeds quite a distance (Figure 14.3).”
“Koa pods are slow to dehisce and about 15 cm long and 2.5 to 4 cm wide.”
“Insect larvae of many species typically destroy a large proportion of the mature seeds before they dehisce.”
“Ripe pods dehisce along a single margin, and the mature, black, hard-coated seeds”
“Anthers will then dehisce one at a time over 3-4 d., while the style elongates and the stigma becomes receptive.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘dehisce’.
Words picked up as I go
I enjoy collecting words, for I have no fear of them ever running out.
Hecko, words! I’m so happy I’ve found you. I want to keep you all and never want to lose you again. I hope you like it here.
Words that I used to know.
They were (are) better as verbs
anthroparian words I'm still wondering about
Words whose definitions I need to memorize. And use in regular conversation. Oh, yeah.
Words of the day. :)
Verbs meaning open, open up, or unblock
Looking for tweets for dehisce.