from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small tooth or toothlike projection.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A small tooth
- n. A pulp stone
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A small tooth or projecting point.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A small tooth or projecting point; a denticulation; specifically, one of the long slender elements of the morphologically compound teeth of the Cape ant-eater, Orycteropus capensis, the only example of such structure among mammals.
- n. Any small toothed or tooth-like part: as, the shagreen denticles of the shark.
- n. In the graptolites (Hydrozoa), one of the thecæ. See theca, 1 .
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. small pointed ridge on the exoskeleton of an arthropod
Middle English, from Latin denticulus, diminutive of dēns, dent-, tooth; see dent- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)