American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A short-barreled pistol that has a large bore and is small enough to be carried in a pocket.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A short-barreled pistol of large caliber, very efficient at short range.
- n. A type of very small, concealable pistol with one or two barrels, but without any loading system or magazine.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A kind of short-barreled pocket pistol, of very large caliber, often carrying a half-ounce ball.
- n. a pocket pistol of large caliber with a short barrel
- Named after gunsmith Henry Deringer Junior. (Wiktionary)
- After Henry Deringer (1786-1868), American gunsmith. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“On this side of the Atlantic, nearly any small pocket pistol is now called a derringer, from Henry Deringer's short-barreled muzzle-loader.”
“a pair of pistols; the word, which is still popular, being a corruption of the Persian "Tabáncheh" = a slap or blow, even as the French call a derringer coup de poing.”
“When a steamboat known to be carrying smallpox attempted to unload its passengers, Dumont aimed her derringer pistol at the captain and fired two shots into the deck just inches from his feet.”
“How about a derringer chambered for a 105mm howitzer round.”
“He found a loaded two shot .22 derringer pistol as part of the buckle.”
“So instead, a 12ga derringer with an 8 ceramic barrel.”
“In the theater's museum is the real Booth derringer.”
“Here's the exact replica of the .44-caliber derringer Booth used.”
“As for that final rite of "centrism" - the hit job - Mr. Schoen's editorial demonstrates that he'll happily don the ankle holster and squeeze off a round from his derringer whenever the signal's given.”
“There could be a day when the teachers pet comes in with derringer because the teacher only gave her an “A” instead of an “A+”, happens too often here in the states, what then, wait for the slug to penetrate? by a failed 11+. and survived. on April 1, 2010 at 8: 17 pm Simon Hugh”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘derringer’.
Words only (I left out the expressions) from Geza Kerenyi's EN-HU interpreters' dictionary. Most of them pose some difficulty when interpreted between HU and EN in either or both directions.
Basically it's just mikeropology's words, but with his username turned into an adjectivally splendid list name.
words that evoke magic, mystery, mayhem, magnificence or anything else that glimmers in the grass
It isn't all about fucking cocksuckers. There aren't too many shows on TV that use Wordie words. (So of course it was cancelled.)
Best viewed in cloud format.
Nicknames for guns.
You can thank Uncle Sam for my interest in firearms.
*interesting* -nge/-nge- words
Looking for tweets for derringer.