from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To cut, tear, or pull off the limbs of.
- transitive v. To divide into pieces.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To remove the limbs of.
- v. To cut or otherwise divide something into pieces.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To tear limb from limb; to dilacerate; to disjoin member from member; to tear or cut in pieces; to break up.
- transitive v. To deprive of membership.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To separate the members of; divide limb from limb; tear or cut in pieces; dilacerate.
- To strip of members or constituent parts; sever and distribute the parts of; take a part or parts from: as, to dismember a kingdom.
- To withdraw or exclude from membership, as of a society or body; declare to be no longer a member.
- Synonyms and
- To disjoint, pull a part, break up.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. separate the limbs from the body
- v. divide into pieces
I know they 'cheat' on them to make them easier to "dismember" as my kids and I used to say, but it's still aggravating when you encounter them in print.
Finally, Geithner's language - he wants to "dismember" failed financial firms "safely" - is interesting.
I won't argue with you or "dismember" you because your points are valid.
Ms Rice said it had been "deeply disconcerting" that Russia had tried to "dismember"
The alternative is to kill the fetus in the uterus and then dismember it, removing it piece by piece, with each intrusion into the uterus running the risk of perforating the uterus and increasing the danger of infection.
His son Saif al-Islam threatened to dismember the country and plunge it into a civil war that will last for 30 or 40 years.
When the dust settled in the pre-dawn darkness Saturday, the House passed a CR that is less a spending guide than a policy manifesto to gut, dismember, defund or derail protections we've relied upon for years, if not decades.
They don't dismember their victims, Trestrail says.
After Frazier died, several of the defendants tried to dismember her and then dumped her body in a dumpster behind the apartment building in the 1700 block of Trenton Place SE.
Rosemary took great delight in torturing the young women and Fred would dismember the bodies and bury them in the backyard.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.