from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Bent or slightly ragged in appearance, especially due to having been read many times.
- adj. Having the corner folded over, as a sort of bookmark.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having the corners of the leaves turned down and soiled by careless or long-continued usage; -- said of a book.
- adj. worn down, shabby.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having the corners of the leaves curled over and soiled by use, as a book. Also dog's-eared.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. worn or shabby from overuse or (of pages) from having corners turned down
From dog + ear + -ed, due to the similarity of appearance to the ears of certain dogs. (Wiktionary)