from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To present as a gift to a fund or cause; contribute.
- transitive v. Medicine To provide (blood, tissue, or an organ) for transfusion, implantation, or transplant.
- transitive v. Chemistry To provide (an electron or atom, for example) for combination with an acceptor.
- intransitive v. To make a contribution to a fund or cause.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To make a donation; to give away something of value to support or contribute towards a cause or for the benefit of another.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To give; to bestow; to present.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To give; present as a gift; contribute.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. give to a charity or good cause
Back-formation from donation.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Circa 1845, back-formation from donation, chiefly in American English. Ultimately from Latin donare (to give). (Wiktionary)