Did you possibly mean dangle?
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A hardware device that serves as copy protection for certain software by rendering the software inoperable when the device is not plugged into a printer port.
- n. computer hardware Any small device which plugs into an electronic device, typically a computer, and alters its functionality. Common examples include wireless modems, software copy protect devices, and adapters. Some USB keyboards and mice include USB to PS/2 adapter dongles, enabling their use on machines with PS/2 ports.
- n. computer hardware A hardware device utilized by a specific application for purposes of copy protection.
- n. (computer science) an electronic device that must be attached to a computer in order for it to use protected software
- Apparently from dangle. (Wiktionary)
- Probably arbitrary coinage. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“As these statements suggest, a dongle is just an adapter you plug into the USB port on a TV, Blu-ray player, or home-theater system that allows it to connect wirelessly to your home network.”
“The iPod dongle is attached to a special serial board that can translate the signal from the dongle.”
“Curious about this rather odd term, I checked out Merriam-Webster's online dictionary, which tracks the first use of the word dongle to 1981, defining it as "a small device that plugs into a computer and serves as an adapter or as a security measure to enable the use of certain software.”
“| Reply you got it wrong … the USB dongle is for people that dont have wireless routers already, and can just plug that dongle into their PC, which will shoot the wireless to the console wirelessly.”
“A dongle is a piece of hardware that plugs into a computer and verifies that you did in fact purchase this five thousand dollar software package.”
“(As an alternative, you can connect a non-carrier netbook to 3G by using a so-called dongle that plugs into, and dangles from, a USB port.)”
“As an alternative, you can connect a non-carrier netbook to 3G by using a so-called dongle that plugs into, and dangles from, a USB port.”
“The dongle is a HUAWEI Technology usb modem, Vendor number 12d1, product id 1520.”
“The dongle, which is being manufactured in Malaysia, costs $119.”
“The inclusion of a physical dongle, which is coupled to the software via a software licensing system, greatly reduces the means to pirate software while still easily allowing the software to move from machine-to-machine.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘dongle’.
Bore that meets the eye.
Loved for their ingenuity, an exact description, or simply for the pure joy of it.
for Anil -- a list for those whatchamacallits.
The new favourite words of people on Twitter.
A script searches Twitter for "X is my new favorite word" and adds it to this list.
grabbable, retuiteando, leaving, fantastic, absolutely, kurwa, hella, ridic, underpass, hate, interlude, plush and 2369 more...
Yes. Yes it does.
i heart words.
These words and phrases may make you cringe. You might feel embarrassed for the person who says them, or perhaps just annoyed to hear them utter such terms.
Inspired by a Candid Camera sketch.
Looking for tweets for dongle.