from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small wooded valley; a dell.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A small, narrow or enclosed, usually wooded valley.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A narrow dale; a small dell; a small, secluded, and embowered valley.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A small, secluded, and embowered valley.
- n. The protecting weather-shed built around the entrance to a house.
- To shake; vibrate.
- n. The roofed-over space between the kitchen and the sleeping-quarters in a logging-camp, commonly used as a storeroom.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a small wooded hollow
Middle English, dell, hollow.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From an alteration of dimble ("a dingle, glen, retired place"). (Wiktionary)