American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Chiefly Southern U.S. See ant lion.
- n. Chiefly Southern U.S. See pill bug.
- n. Chiefly Southern U.S. See sow bug.
- n. Chiefly Southern U.S. A divining rod.
- n. informal , (UK) the V-1 flying bomb
- n. A term of endearment.
- n. entomology antlion larva (Myrmeleontidae)
- n. a doodlebug tractor, an automobile converted into a cheap tractor for a small farm (during World War II)
- n. a small jet-propelled winged missile that carries a bomb
- n. the larva of any of several insects
- n. a small motor vehicle
- doodle + bug (Wiktionary)
- Perhaps dialectal doodle, fool, simpleton; akin to Low German dudeldopp + bug. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“In 1958, he and I worked ten days on and five days off for what was called a doodlebug outfit, or seismograph crew, laying out rubber cable and seismic jugs in bays and swamps all along the Louisiana-Texas coastline.”
“Olimar's Notes: While life-forms that excrete foul musks to warn of danger are not rare, the doodlebug is the only species known to release flatulence when active above ground.”
“But the rocket, known to the British as the "buzz bomb" or the "doodlebug," was also easily spotted and comparatively slow, making it vulnerable to antiaircraft fire and enemy fighters.”
“Unconventional pet names such as 'huggle wuggles', 'cuddly beast', and 'doodlebug' are cropping up on lastminute. com, as customers send gifts to their better halves.”
“It took a hit in 1940 and again in 1944, when a doodlebug killed five ARP wardens.”
“You may or may not have heard about this, but if not, just remember the sound a doodlebug makes in the few seconds before it explodes.”
““Mm,” I grunt, not bothering to ask him to drop the “doodlebug” thing for the millionth time.”
“And anyway it wasn't the same, on account of there wasn't no doodlebug in the natural world who ever tried to doodle while he was running with a thong around his neck.”
“You mean you can see where other folks did their doodlebug or beseeching or hex or charm?”
“When a White man laid a hex or a curse or cast a doodlebug, it felt to Ta-Kumsaw like an itch under his skin, but when a White man killed, it was like a knife stabbing.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘doodlebug’.
These have some growing up to do.
Comic strip character names and words, along with modern slang oddities.
( personal list )
related (from me):
"Fornication" is not equal to "formication".
Words with funny meaning, spelling or both.
My D Words
My favoritist words every in the world!
Looking for tweets for doodlebug.