from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that builds or repairs ships.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person who designs, builds and repairs ships, especially wooden ones
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One whose occupation is to construct ships; a builder of ships or other vessels.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A builder of ships; a ship-carpenter.
- n. A local English name of the spotted ling: so called because it has “a resemblance to the spilt pitch on the clothes of these mechanics.”
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a carpenter who helps build and launch wooden vessels
ship + wright (“builder”) (Wiktionary)