from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An artisan who fashions objects of gold.
- n. A trader or dealer in gold articles.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person who forges things out of gold, especially jewelry.
- n. A banker (because the goldsmiths of London used to receive money on deposit, being equipped to keep it safely).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An artisan who manufactures vessels and ornaments, etc., of gold.
- n. A banker.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An artisan who manufactures vessels and ornaments of gold; a worker in gold.
- n. In entomology, a goldsmith-beetle.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an artisan who makes jewelry and other objects out of gold
- n. Irish writer of novels and poetry and plays and essays (1728-1774)
gold + smith (Wiktionary)