from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who makes pottery.
- v. Chiefly British Variant of putter2.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One who makes pots and other ceramic wares.
- n. God, the creator.
- n. One who places flowers or other plants inside their pots.
- v. To poke repeatedly.
- v. To act in a vague or unmotivated way.
- v. To move slowly or aimlessly. (Often potter about, potter around)
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One whose occupation is to make earthen vessels.
- n. One who hawks crockery or earthenware.
- n. One who pots meats or other eatables.
- n. The red-bellied terrapin. See Terrapin.
- intransitive v. To busy one's self with trifles; to labor with little purpose, energy, of effect; to trifle; to pother.
- intransitive v. To walk lazily or idly; to saunter.
- transitive v. To poke; to push; also, to disturb; to confuse; to bother.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One whose occupation is the making of pots or earthenware vessels of any kind.
- n. One who peddles earthenware or crockery.
- n. One who pots meats, vegetables, etc.
- n. A fresh-water clemmyoid turtle, Deirochelys serrata, of the United States.
- n. The slider, or red-bellied terrapin, Pseudemys rugosa. See slider. [Local, U. S.]
- n. In a larger sense, any earth used in the ceramic art, including kaolin, a so-called blue clay which is of a grayish color and when fired is white, and a black clay so called, which also results in a white biscuit.
- To be busy in doing little, or what is of little or no practical value; busy one's self over trifles; trifle; work with little energy or purpose.
- To hobble; walk slowly and with difficulty; move slowly; loiter.
- To walk upon or leap from piece to piece of floating ice. Bartlett. [Local, U.S.]
- To poke; push; disturb.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. work lightly
- v. move around aimlessly
- v. do random, unplanned work or activities or spend time idly
- n. a craftsman who shapes pottery on a potter's wheel and bakes them it a kiln
From Middle English pottere, from Old French potier (Wiktionary)
Reduplicative alteration of pote. (Wiktionary)