American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A bell, chime, or buzzer outside a door that is rung to announce the presence of a visitor or caller.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A bell at a door, or connected with a handle or knob exposed outside a door, for the purpose of giving notice when one desires admittance.
- n. A device on or adjacent to an outer door for announcing one's presence. It can be mechanical, directly sounding a bell, or a button that electrically sounds a chime or buzzer inside the building.
- n. A button that actives an electric doorbell.
- v. intransitive To ring many doorbells in an effort to contact people and thereby spread information or solicit.
- v. transitive To ring many doorbells of (target people or an area) in an effort to contact people and thereby spread information or solicit.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. a bell or other sounding device, actuated by a push button at an outer door; the push button activating the bell; alos, the ringing of such a bell.
- n. a push button at an outer door that gives a ringing or buzzing signal when pushed
- door + bell (Wiktionary)
“And since we're on the second floor and our doorbell is broken, he announced his arrival by hurling a snowball at the window.”
“When the sun goes down, we'll close the curtains, extinguish all the lights, make sure the doorbell is unplugged, and hide in the back room with the stereo on loud enough so that we don't hear their begging.”
“And there was the red flashing light'the "doorbell" -above the entryway, flashing in her clear view.”
“Above the doorbell was a plaque etched in cursive letters.”
“You know, there is this brand-new technology you might have heard of called a doorbell.”
“They had learned already that the doorbell was a fake.”
“The ringing of our doorbell was a happy distraction.”
“The porch swing hung at an angle on rusted chains, and the doorbell was the kind you twisted with a handle.”
“The doorbell was a flurry of flutes with an echo of panpipes.”
“After calling the doorbell man back to her home to reposition the bell in a more discreet location, my stepmother discovered how much thought and care had gone into his plan.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘doorbell’.
Stuffie #4. Stuff you push.
Just what you'd expect.
Looking for tweets for doorbell.