American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To unload: download cargo from a transport aircraft.
- v. Computer Science To transfer (data or programs) from a server or host computer to one's own computer or device.
- n. A file transfer to the local computer, especially one in progress.
- n. A file that has been, or will be transferred in this way.
- v. transitive To transfer (computer data, especially as one or more files) from a remote computer (server) to a local computer, usually via a network.
- v. transitive, nonstandard upload; to copy a file from a local computer to a remote computer via a network.
- v. transitive, nonstandard to transfer a file to or from removable media.
- v. transitive, nonstandard to install software.
- v. transfer a file or program from a central computer to a smaller computer or to a computer at a remote location
- From down- + load. (Wiktionary)
“For instance, the download is available as a 3MB file, or as smaller “DISKS”.”
“You might want to clarify that the download is the first three sections, not the first three chapters (as you say in your post).”
“It seems odd, I'm pretty sure you have a US credit card and a download is a download.”
“# the result from the download is actually a tuple with three elements.”
“Just to let you know, the liturgical book for the celebrations of the Holy Father during his upcoming pilgrimage to the Holy Land is available for download from the Vatican website.”
“Al momento le velocità massime supportate dai cellulari della Nokia (6720 classic, 6710 navigator, E55, 5630 XpressMusic) sono di 10. 2Mbps in download (HSDPA) e di 2. 0Mbps in upload (HSUPA). (fonte: GigaOM) [...] iWeb Blog » iWeb Tech News Highlights: MySQL, netbooks, LTE with Nokia and Facebook”
“There have been rumors flying around that the download is going to be late by a day.”
“The big deal, though, is that I can download from the Kindle store at Amazon which has the largest selection of ebooks anywhere.”
“It was right there in that first download from the muse in the fabric store.”
“The notes for this course are available for free download from a site we've created to support this training. (from Mark Walker) (tags: socialmedia blogging websites training howto)”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘download’.
random webdev lingo used primarily in computer programming.
( open list, randomness, technical jargon, geek speak )
ajax, user, admin, frontend, backend, database, sql, protocol, call, dom, layout, ui and 439 more...
My Tag Cloud
Cribbed from Transhumanist Terminology at aleph.se, which has definitions, and is itself based on the Lextropicon.
New verbs for the internet age. No physical activity required.
Words I never used before the Internet
It's a list of helpful words that is used on the web.
No, really, they are far better than your words.
Looking for tweets for download.