American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A low table with a mirror at which one sits while applying makeup. Also called vanity.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A table provided with conveniences for adjusting the dress; a toilet-table.
- n. A dressing-bench.
- n. A bench on which ores are sorted.
- n. A machine for dressing, truing, and straightening stereotype plates. See stereotype.
- n. A low table or chest of drawers with a mirror at which one sits while dressing, applying makeup or similar tasks.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. a table, usually having a vertical back piece containing a mirror, at which a person may sit while dressing or applying makeup, and on which articles for the toilet stand. It often has drawers for toiletries, clothing, or accessories. It is also called a
vanityor vanity table.
- n. low table with mirror or mirrors where one sits while dressing or applying makeup
“Rising, she strode to her dressing table and pawed through the tangled snarl of ribbons and garters until she found what she was looking for — a long and particularly lethal-looking silver hatpin.”
“The Gospel of St. John lay on the dressing table before him: “Whosoever confesseth that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.””
“She sat at her dressing table in the bedroom of their Park Avenue co-op, rubbing prescription retin-A cream on her neck.”
“She saronged the towel around herself, plucked a package of cigarettes from the nearby dressing table and lit herself up.”
“Also I give and bequeath to my said wife one feather bed and furniture with walnut bedsted and curtain belonging to the same, also two chests one a pine and the other a cypress one, also one small walnut dressing table and dressing glass, also two large looking glasses, also one small trunk to her and her heirs forever.”
“There was no armchair by the hearth, no window seat, no dressing table and therefore no stool, just a tallboy.”
“A black and white illustration of Arthur Shelby standing at his dressing table and sharpening his straight razor, with Mrs. Shelby seated nearby and a slave boy named Andy standing in the doorway.”
“One afternoon as Mary was keeping the Duchesse company in her chambers, she watched as Diane sat before her dressing table and arranged, then rearranged, her perfumes and silver-backed brushes.”
“One day shortly after he had left Ninon's house, she noticed on her dressing table a letter, which she opened to find the following effusion:”
“Celeste had her dressing table with its stool of padded silk, and the ivory-backed brushes with which she gave her hair its one hundred and one strokes both morning and night.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘dressing table’.
The universe as IKEA sees it.
Furniture, haberdashery, household articles and a lot more. The bulk of the list (750 entries) are IKEA articles in the original English version IKEA use...
active-response c..., add-on-unit for s..., adjustable slatte..., alarm clock, alkaline battery, anti-slip socks, anti-slip underlay, armchair, armrest, artificial flower, artificial garland, artificial plant ... and 830 more...
Looking for tweets for dressing table.