from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The outer layer of a blastula that gives rise to the ectoderm after gastrulation.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the outer layer of a blastula that, after gastrulation, becomes the ectoderm
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The outer layer of the blastoderm; the ectoderm. See blastoderm, delamination.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In botany, a name applied by Richard to a second small cotyledon which is found in wheat and some other grasses.
- n. In embryology, the outer or external blastodermic membrane or layer of cells, forming the ectoderm or epiderm: distinguished at first from hypoblast, then from both hypoblast and mesoblast. See cut under blastocæle.
epi- + -blast (Wiktionary)