from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An instrument for measuring the amount of work done by a muscle or group of muscles.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A dynamometer used to measure the work done by muscles
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A device for measuring, or an instrument for indicating, energy expended or work done; a dynamometer.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An instrument for measuring work; a dynamometer. Watt's indicator-diagram is an example of an ergometer. Also called electro-ergometer.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. measuring instrument designed to measure power
Greek ergon, work; see werg- in Indo-European roots + -meter.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)