from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of spending or passing the summer.
- n. Zoology A state of dormancy or torpor during the summer.
- n. Botany The arrangement of flower parts in the bud.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative spelling of aestivation.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of passing the summer.
- n. Specifically In zoology, the summer sleep of certain animals, as mollusks; the act of falling into a more or less permanent condition of sleep or dormant state in summer.
- n. In botany, prefloration; the disposition of the parts of a flower in the bud.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (zoology) cessation or slowing of activity during the summer; especially slowing of metabolism in some animals during a hot or dry period
- n. (botany) the arrangement of sepals and petals in a flower bud before it opens
Sorry, no etymologies found.