from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. To dissipate or disappear like vapor. See Synonyms at disappear.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To disappear into a mist or dissipate in vapor
- v. To transition from the solid state to gaseous state without ever becoming a liquid
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. To vanish away; to become dissipated and disappear, like vapor.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To vanish away or by degrees; disappear gradually; fade out or away; be dissipated: as, evanescing colors or vapors.
- To disappear, as the edge of a polyhedron, by the rotation of two adjacent faces into one plane.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. disappear gradually
Latin ēvānēscere, to vanish : ē-, ex-, ex- + vānēscere, to disappear (from vānus, empty).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin evanescere ("to vanish"). (Wiktionary)