from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. To dissipate or disappear like vapor. See Synonyms at disappear.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To disappear into a mist or dissipate in vapor
- v. To transition from the solid state to gaseous state without ever becoming a liquid
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. To vanish away; to become dissipated and disappear, like vapor.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To vanish away or by degrees; disappear gradually; fade out or away; be dissipated: as, evanescing colors or vapors.
- To disappear, as the edge of a polyhedron, by the rotation of two adjacent faces into one plane.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. disappear gradually
I stubbornly insist on seeing our community, not as a fragile utopian bubble destined to evanesce or pop, but as a hardy model for the future.
If people would start seeing through this sham – and the media would stop giving this pathetic bunch of idiots coverage – it would simply evanesce.
Feathery trills and a murky fog over the final section caused the piece to evanesce, until without much warning, it evaporated into nothing.
Construct Series 7, Construct Series 1, Slab, juncture and evanesce
He stepped through the veil of light, blinking, as if pushing through would cause his body to evanesce, pass into an otherworldly realm.
Does he notice the thick cumulous lifeforms that escape from his mouth in shapes that shift and evanesce like the opportunities that once populated his life?
The more time our money ( "debt") takes to evanesce, the more time we ants have to help ourselves as well as odd grasshopper or two.
If any appreciable fraction of the world's poor were to migrate into the USA the very conditions which attacted them would evanesce.
Yet childlikeness can evanesce like so much dry ice.
Others simply don't care and hope that by ignoring the problem it will magically evanesce.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.