from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A look or stare believed to cause injury or misfortune to others.
- n. The presumed power to cause injury or misfortune to others by magic or supernatural means.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A wicked look
- n. A curse
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- See Evil eye under evil, a.
- adj. an eye which inflicts injury by some magical or fascinating influence. It is still believed by the ignorant and superstitious that some persons have the supernatural power of injuring by a look.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a look that is believed to have the power of inflicting harm
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.