from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n.pl. Witty or humorous writings and sayings.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Witty or amusing writings or remarks.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n.pl. Witty or humorous writings or saying; witticisms; merry conceits.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Witty or humorous sayings or writings.
- In booksellers' or collectors' catalogues, books of an objectionable kind, broad, coarsely witty, or indecent.
Latin facētiae, pl. of facētia, jest; see facetious.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Originated 1520–30 from Latin facētiae, plural of facētia (jest); see facete+-ia and facetious. (Wiktionary)