from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Preferred or liked above all others (unless qualified.)
- n. A person who enjoys special regard or favour.
- n. A person who is preferred or trusted above all others.
- n. A contestant or competitor thought most likely to win.
- v. Alternative form of favour.
- v. To bookmark.
- v. To add to one's list of favourites on a website that allows users to compile such lists.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. something regarded with special favor or liking
- n. a competitor thought likely to win
- adj. appealing to the general public
- adj. preferred above all others and treated with partiality
- n. a special loved one
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The title favourite Serena Williams and the world No1 Caroline Wozniacki will meet in the US Open semi-finals after both came through their delayed quarter-finals.
There was to be no glorious comeback, though, as the title favourite kept her hopes of a fourth US Open title very much alive.
It was now a huge task for the 20-year-old Russian, and the title favourite did not seem keen to hang around, making it five games in a row to move 3-0 ahead in the second set.
Centuries in the third and fourth frames, an 86 in the eighth and a 56 in the ninth which could quite easily have become a 147 were the highlights from the title favourite's perspective.
Alonso, winner of the last two races, was typically cool and confident as he took his turn to face the media and accepted the title favourite's tag with a shrug while, down the road at Red Bull HQ, championship leader Mark Webber propped his sunglasses on his head as he refused to talk up his chances.
Schwartzel was the title favourite after his win in the Africa Open last Sunday, while Clarke's 63 was his lowest European Tour round since his record-equalling 60 in the 1999
After two disastrous rounds of Heats on Saturday, the title favourite came back strongly on Sunday to win the senior category race of the JK Tyre Indian National Rotax Max Championship at the Circuit 09 in Kolhapur.
It'll evoke numerous cherished memories amongst Liverpool fans, but my favourite is the following devastating line:
(I have about three or four remixes of the beast, although my favourite is the typographic parody NeutraFace.)
There are many wonderful museums featuring the period; as well as the National Museum in Naples, a favourite is at St Germain en Laye near Paris.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.