American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The unborn young of a viviparous vertebrate having a basic structural resemblance to the adult animal.
- n. In humans, the unborn young from the end of the eighth week after conception to the moment of birth, as distinguished from the earlier embryo.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The young of viviparous animals in the womb, and of oviparous animals in the egg; the embryo in the later stage of development. see embryo. Also spelled fœus.
- n. An unborn or unhatched vertebrate showing signs of the mature animal.
- n. A human embryo after the 8th week of gestation.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The young or embryo of a vertebrate animal in the womb, or in the egg; often restricted to the later stages in the development of viviparous and oviparous animals. showing the main recognizable features of the mature animal,
embryobeing applied to the earlier stages.
- n. an unborn or unhatched vertebrate in the later stages of development showing the main recognizable features of the mature animal
- From Latin fētus ("offspring"). (Wiktionary)
- Middle English, from Latin fētus, offspring; see dhē(i)- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“*I understand not everyone thinks abortion is murder, and some people would use the term fetus and not baby, but I am just working through what Sydney Carton said in the above comment.”
“Another bill, HB 2035, would require minors to obtain parental consent before an abortion and change the term "fetus" to "unborn child.”
“Ok, I'm not sorry, if you think a fetus is a baby, then you really are a moron (and a retard).”
“And in many late term cases, the fetus is already dead or not viable. pseudonymous in nc says:”
“Due to abortion being such a scared cow and the denial that a fetus is anything but a parasitic clump of cells, so much actual scientific reality if obscured.”
“Because the fetus is the one to initially infringe on the most fundamental right of all, the right to bodily integrity.”
“If you think a fetus is a human being then that is true whether than fetus is in Selma, Alabama (where I graduated from high school – GO SAINTS!) in Seattle or Sydney, Santiago, Salzberg, or Shanghai.”
“It makes no sense to say that a fetus is a human person deserving of legal protection on the Rhode Island side of the border, but not on the Massachusetts side.”
“Even if you disagree that a fetus is a human life that early, can you not at least be civil and respect that as our position?”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘fetus’.
A list created for TRM, because there are certain words that we just kind of hate.
The new favourite words of people on Twitter.
A script searches Twitter for "X is my new favorite word" and adds it to this list.
unfathomably, glice, cuh, fab, ciggaty, doll, thuggin, oxymoronic, pineapple, succubutt, griming, cheeky and 2369 more...
These have some growing up to do.
For double the fun, see also Congenital Conditions.
Words I dislike.
List for a workshop on vocabulary
Looking for tweets for fetus.