from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A device, such as a siren, used in announcing the outbreak of a fire.
- n. The signal, especially the noise, produced by such a device.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An electromechanical or electronic bell, klaxon, chime, horn, speaker, strobe light or other device which warns people in a building of a possible fire or other condition requiring evacuation.
- n. The sound or other warning made by a fire alarm.
- n. An emergency response to a fire by the fire department with manpower and equipment.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An apparatus for giving such an alarm.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An alarm of fire.
- n. A mechanical apparatus for giving a signal or alarm of fire.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a shout or bell to warn that fire has broken out
- n. an alarm that is tripped off by fire or smoke
fire + alarm (Wiktionary)