Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A frivolous, gadding girl.
- n. A firework, made of damp powder, which makes a hissing or fizzing noise when ignited: in one form called by boys a volcano.
- n. A corrupt form of fishgig.
- n. Australia, slang, obsolete A police informer.
- n. alternative spelling of fishgig.
- n. archaic A small squib-like firework.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. obsolete A fishgig.
- n. A firework, made of damp powder, which makes a fizzing or hissing noise when it explodes.
- n. A gadding, flirting girl.
- n. an implement with a shaft and barbed point used for catching fish
- n. a firework that fizzes as it moves
- From unknown + Middle English gig ("frivolous woman"). (Wiktionary)
“November 4, 2007 at 10:15 am no lolagator for funny reptiles? fizgig says:”
“November 15, 2007 at 3:10 pm thx i tot so akshuly, but wuznt shure i iz not naetiv inglish speakur so stuf liek harbls get bai me im afrayed aye fizgig says:”
“NB: sorry for the anger… just kinda annoying, and i had a bad day fizgig says:”
“Juan defends his dealings with the gay fizgig Fifine as a step to the fuller appreciation of Elvire; he demands freedom to escape only as a means of possessing more surely and intimately what he has.”
“Deliverance Dobbins, a frumpish, fizgig of a maid, ever complaining of bodily ills though her chuffy cheeks were red as pippins, reported that one day when she had gone for simples she had seen strange, dead things in the jars of M. Picot's dispensary.”
“Chairmen splashed us as they passed; and impudent dandies powdered and patched and laced and bewigged like any fizgig of a girl would have elbowed us from the wall to the gutter for the sport of seeing M. Radisson's moccasins slimed.”
“And you'll be hanged if you do," said Jack, as he walked out of the room; "so it's all one either way, old fizgig.”
“ftl – “full of lose”? something really unpleasant? fizgig says:”
“_fizgig_, while the heads of dogs appear over the gunwales of the canoes, nearly a dozen in each.”
“You've got one of your fits on again, "cried Frank contemptuously;" what a gunpowder fizgig you are! ”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘fizgig’.
Words that clatter and tumble
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
A list of silly, strange, and generally unusual words.
a motley crew of words i enjoy
just some nice words that i like.
Oddments culled from my "main" lists that belong in a display cabinet of their own, plus sundry other curiosities. :-)
you know, it's those types of words i'll only be able to use on very, very special occasions with very, very special company on a day when i'm feeling especially enlightened. these words, their sou...
Looking for tweets for fizgig.