from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Sports A racing start in which the contestants are already in full motion when they cross the starting line.
- n. A quick or auspicious beginning.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An especially good start.
- n. The start of a sports event in which the competitors are moving when they pass the starting line or initial jump point.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. a start in a sailing race in which the signal is given while the vessels are under way.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a quick and auspicious beginning
- n. a racing start in which the contestants are already in full motion when they pass the starting line
From sailboat races, where the ships should be 'flying' under full sail as they cross the starting line. (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.