from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An ancestor. See Synonyms at ancestor.
- n. A person who is from an earlier time and has originated or contributed to a common tradition shared by a particular group.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Ancestor (Wikipedia).
- n. Cultural ancestor; one who originated an idea or tradition.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who precedes another in the line of genealogy in any degree, but usually in a remote degree; an ancestor.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An ancestor; one who precedes another in the line of genealogy in any degree, but usually in a remote degree.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the founder of a family
- n. person from an earlier time who contributed to the tradition shared by some group
Possibly directly from Old Norse forfaðir. (Wiktionary)