from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A lock of hair that grows from or falls on the forehead, especially the part of a horse's mane that falls forward between the ears.
- n. A cotter pin; a linchpin.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The part of a person's hairstyle which covers the forehead.
- n. The part of a horse's mane that lies on its forehead.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The lock of hair that grows from the forepart of the head.
- n. A cotter or split pin, as in a slot in a bolt, to prevent retraction; a linchpin; a pin fastening the cap-square of a gun.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Nautical, to secure by a forelock, as a bolt.
- n. A round or flat wedge of iron passed through a hole in the inner end of a bolt to prevent its withdrawal when a strain is placed on it.
- n. In medieval armor, a clasp or catch serving to hold the helm, or in some cases the beaver or the mentonnière, to the gorgerin or breastplate in front.
- n. The lock of hair that grows from the fore part of the head; a prominent or somewhat detached lock above the forehead, especially of a horse.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a lock of hair growing (or falling) over the forehead
- n. a lock of a horse's mane that grows forward between the ears
Sorry, no etymologies found.
This kind of forelock-tugging to the monarchy disappeared from the real world 40 years ago or more.
There were about five people in different departments who, because of my forelock, ended up in tears.
A lot of kneeling, kowtowing and forelock-tugging ensued -- and a public scolding of one of the Star's best journos and columnists by the "public editor."
We all agreed the war in Vietnam was wrong and the forelock tugging tendency of the British needed to end.
Instead of asking how it is that we all have to kiss the forelock of the Windsor family...
That one lasted for 4 months, and in the end all I had was a cotton candy pink forelock.
I have also dyed my hair deep blue with a pink forelock and magenta highlights.
So beautiful and majestic, with his forelock draped in his face, he really fit the part.
Nicholas's ID photo from the Saigon embassy shows a young man with a Superman forelock, fixing the camera with a challenging stare.
But otherwise very little, jokes or otherwise, that we hadn't heard before, and a preponderance of what blogger Julian Dobson has called "pointless forelock-tugging to the Taxpayers 'Alliance".
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.