from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Given to self-indulgence.
- adj. Biology Living independently of another organism; not part of a parasitic or symbiotic relationship.
- adj. Biology Moving independently; not sessile.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. (of an organism) That lives independently of other organisms rather than part of a symbiotic or parasitic relationship
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Unrestrained indulgence of the appetites as a way of life.
- adj. Living independently of other organisms; not parasitic or commensal.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Full gratification of the appetite.
- Living in a free or unrestrained manner.
- In biology, living free from and independent of the parent, as a medusa-bud separated from the polyp-stock upon which it grew.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a lifestyle given to easy indulgence of the appetites
- adj. not parasitic on another organism
Sorry, no etymologies found.