from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Prohibiting slavery: free-soil states.
- adj. Opposing the extension of slavery before the U.S. Civil War.
- adj. Of or being a U.S. political party founded in 1848 to oppose the extension of slavery into U.S. territories and the admission of slave states into the Union.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Pertaining to, or advocating, the non-extension of slavery; -- esp. applied to a party which was active during the period 1846-1856.
- adj. Pertaining to territory where slavery was prohibited.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In favor of free soil or territory—that is, opposed to slavery.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. where slavery was prohibited
Sorry, no etymologies found.