American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A swimming event or leg of an event in which the contestants may choose any stroke.
- n. The crawl.
- n. A competition, as in figure skating, skiing, or surfing, in which any maneuver or movement is allowed and competitors are judged on their artistic expression, acrobatic skill, and athletic expertise.
- n. A style of wrestling in which all noninjurious holds or tactics are permitted.
- n. A swimming event in which the contestants may choose any stroke.
- n. By extension The swimming stroke commonly referred to as the front crawl or the Australian crawl.
- n. A style of wrestling in which any non-injurious holds are permitted.
- n. A sports event where competitors can choose their own method of participation.
- n. A form of rapping in which the emcee makes up lyrics while rapping.
- n. Modifying programming code in production and quality assurance environments, violating the existing procedures for promoting the same.
- v. intransitive To improvise one's own style; to ad-lib (especially in rap music).
- n. a race (as in swimming) in which each contestant has a free choice of the style to use
- free + style (Wiktionary)
“VANCOUVER For the last two weeks, weather at the Cypress Mountain freestyle ski venue has been a mix of rain, sleet, snow and brilliant sunshine.”
“Jeret Peterson of the USA, after a silver medal in freestyle skiing.”
“He became interested in freestyle climbing in the early 1970s after meeting some alpinists near Dresden who demonstrated that the true appeal of rock climbing lay in the difficulty of the face, not the altitude of the peak.”
“It makes the point that the judging element — which is heavy in freestyle and figure skating, and significant enough to decide medals in ski jumping and short-track (through DQs) — really does wrinkle the whole competition.”
“Over the weekend, Olympic champions won more World Cup honors in freestyle skiing and speedskating, American track and field athletes won World Indoor titles in dramatic fashion, and an NCAAathlete broke the world record in the men's indoor heptathlon.”
“That evening we went to the medal ceremony at the Canada Place, it was when Jeret "Speedy '" Peterson from the USA received his silver medal in freestyle skiing.”
“How USA's Speedy Peterson's 'Hurricane' could win freestyle skiing Olympic gold - USATODAY. com”
“How USA's Speedy Peterson's 'Hurricane' could win freestyle skiing Olympic gold”
“Former college stars such as the 23-year-old Askren often need a much longer indoctrination before excelling in freestyle, and Askren has adapted his style.”
“The top seven from each weight class in freestyle and Greco-Roman qualify for the U.S. Olympic trials June 9-10 in Las Vegas.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘freestyle’.
A marque list for cars--models or companies who've used common words as their name.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
list of music genres - anything. even the most obscure sub-genres of sub-genres
Idiomatic wisdom from other countries and cultures. For some of the more obscure languages, expressions were found on the excellent site omniglot.com
donde ronca tigre..., a cada cerdo le l..., Поредити бабе и жабе, baba şi mitraliera, a otro perro con ..., llevar hierro al ..., no se le puede pe..., no se pescan truc..., ada udang di bali..., ropa inte hej för..., nu är det kokta f..., att lägga lök på ... and 210 more...
Words pertaining to horses, equines, equestrians
For more flower fun, see these lists:
Rose words by mollusque
Rose varieties by mollusque
Tulip Names I
Tulip Names II: You Know My Name
A Myriad of Irii
Styles of dance
The ones whose names have nothing to do with their powers, origins, costumes, or smell.
Looking for tweets for freestyle.