from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Fit to be hanged; wicked; mischievous.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A genus of gallinaceous birds, of the family Phasianidæ, having as type the domestic hen, G. domesticus, some if not all varieties of which are the modified descendants of Gallus ferrugineus or bankivus; the jungle-fowl.
- n. In ichthyology, a genus of carangoid fishes.
- n. In conchology, same as Strombus.
- n. In classical antiquity, a priest of Cybele.
- Same as gallows.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. elastic straps that hold trousers up (usually used in the plural)
- n. common domestic birds and related forms
A corruption of gallows, used attributively. Chiefly Scots. (Wiktionary)