from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A hollow, usually spheroidal rock with crystals lining the inside wall.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A nodule of stone having a cavity lined with mineral or crystal matter on the inside wall.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A nodule of stone, containing a cavity, lined with crystals or mineral matter.
- n. The cavity in such a nodule.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A concretionary stone or pebble, hollow inside, and often having the walls of the cavity lined with crystals.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (mineralogy) a hollow rock or nodule with the cavity usually lined with crystals
Of these strange noises there are many explanations, the most plausible being that they are caused by the explosion of the species of stone known as the geode, fragments of which are frequently found among the mountains.
The geode has been a fairly open platform in the past – designed a STB around it in 2000 and had FreeBSD/linux ported to it fairly easily.
The geode is a spherical and apparently solid stone, but when broken is found to be hollow and coated with crystals.
Even worse, this move means Allie will be leaving behind her best friend, her "geode" collection and the only school she's ever known.
Even armed with the name of such a thing — a geode — it seemed impossible that there should be another one out there, let alone be affordable.
The overall effect is, in the words of Richard Fisher, an Arizona-based photographer and adventurer, like walking into an enormous geode.
So yes, the Little Bird and I went outside and smashed that old geode.
And watching it, I was reminded that I was actually given a geode years and years ago.
Because he's been going to the clubs, Webster Hall and the Limelight — Webster Hall with its multiple dancefloors and lots of dark corners and the Limelight on the inside of an old cathedral like a laser-lit geode.
The interior of the bathtub was coated in a crystalline coating, like the interior of a geode.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.