from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Slang A bar or saloon.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A tavern that serves gin.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A commercial establishment where alcoholic drinks are served over a counter; a barroom; -- a disparaging term suggesting a cheap or disreputable bar.
- n. a tavern; a bar; a saloon; especially, a cheap or seedy establishment that serves liquor by the drink.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A low tavern or saloon where spirit is retailed.
- n. A cotton-gin.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. tavern consisting of a building with a bar and public rooms; often provides light meals
- n. a room or establishment where alcoholic drinks are served over a counter
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.