American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A yarn-dyed cotton fabric woven in stripes, checks, plaids, or solid colors.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A cotton fabric woven of plain dyed yarns, in a single color or different colors, or of dyed and white yarns, combined in grays or other mixtures, checks, plaids, or stripes.
- Made or consisting of gingham.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A kind of cotton or linen cloth, usually in stripes or checks, the yarn of which is dyed before it is woven; -- distinguished from printed cotton or prints.
- n. a clothing fabric in a plaid weave
- From Malay genggang. (Wiktionary)
- Dutch ginggang, from Malay. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“I was so moved by his images on the wall: black women in gingham dresses with mile-wide smiles as they held up their voter registration cards; Martin Luther King's widow Coretta Scott King at the funeral of the civil rights leader; images of Negro League players; striking sanitation workers with their "I Am a Man" signs from just weeks before King's assassination.”
“I expressed concern about finishing high school at an institution paved in gingham, a place that didnt involve gum under the desks or drug paraphernalia in the halls.”
“I know that their peace is only partial, but there is peace, often hours and days of peace. quiet clean girls in gingham dresses ..., from Love is a Dog from Hell”
“Disguise your vacuum cleaner as a giant rat in gingham”
“The gloves and slippers were quite dirty, and the barège was old and darned; but the general effect was so very gorgeous, that the children, who were dressed for play, in gingham frocks and white aprons, were quite dazzled at the appearance of their guest.”
“But the "Yankees" do make all their umbrella gingham, which is very nice.”
“Grandmother wear these here gingham cloth call gingham twill.”
“Kurt Wilberding for the Wall Street Journal The luxury collection's layered-looks interpreted vernacular American styles and materials, such as gingham, espadrilles, aprons and plaid.”
“Neon paisleys, lavender gingham skirt suits, white nurse shoes and structured patent frame bags are pieces that feel at once innocent and complicated.”
“The doctor pointed to a crack where a piece of blue gingham fluttered.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘gingham’.
Words containing the letter sequence --ngh--.
This is a public list.
words of diversity
an immense, grandiloquent list that loads like a thousand years sentence in stone. new words are in the other lists.
Fashion elegance, oddities, styles, and cool garments.
For those who wish no words were ever forgotten
words that evoke magic, mystery, mayhem, magnificence or anything else that glimmers in the grass
i love words.
Looking for tweets for gingham.