American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A provision in a statute that exempts those already involved in a regulated activity or business from the new regulations established by the statute.
- n. A clause in the constitutions of several southern states before the year 1915, intended to disfranchise African Americans by exempting from stringent voting requirements all lineal descendants of persons who were registered voters before 1867.
- n. A clause or section, especially in a law, granting exceptions for people or organisations who were affected by previous conditions.
- n. an exemption based on circumstances existing prior to the adoption of some policy; used to enfranchise illiterate whites in south after the American Civil War
- From late 19th-century legislation and constitutional amendments passed by a number of U.S. Southern states, which created new literacy and property restrictions on voting, but exempted those whose grandfathers had the right to vote before the Civil War. The intent and effect of such rules was to prevent poor and illiterate African American former slaves and their descendants from voting, but without denying poor and illiterate whites the right to vote. (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘grandfather clause’.
A combined list of
1. EU Buzz - single words
2. EU Buzz - collocations
3. EU Buzz - the 100 most active
absorption capacity, absorption rate, acceding country, accession candidate, accession countries, accession country, accession criteria, accession cycle, accession negotia..., accession partner..., accession priorities, accession treaty and 2650 more...
Multiword expressions frequently used in EU context. Many of them have a specific EU-meaning, some of them are topical in 2012 also outside the EU but have a relevance in EU politics. People workin...
absorption capacity, absorption rate, acceding country, accession candidate, accession countries, accession country, accession criteria, accession cycle, accession negotia..., accession partner..., accession priorities, accession treaty and 1567 more...
accession candidate, conciliation comm..., commitment approp..., Copenhagen criteria, consumer protection, commitment approp..., treaty revision, treasury bill, suspension clause, support mechanism, sunset clause, student mobility and 302 more...
US Congress/Senate + Westminster + European Parliament usage
applicable law, citations, class actions, collecting society, conflict of laws, contractual oblig..., corroborative evi..., counterparty risk, enforceable nature, enforcement checks, enforcement, escape clause and 108 more...
Words I learnt at law school
The area I'm employed in - not as an attorney but a civil servant working as the clerk of a county assessment appeals board.
Looking for tweets for grandfather clause.