from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A method of printing with etched plates or cylinders; intaglio printing.
- n. Photogravure.
- n. A plate used in the process of gravure.
- n. A reproduction produced by gravure.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A type of intaglio printing process, in which an image is engraved onto a rotating copper cylinder.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Same as photogravure.
- n. A print or plate produced by photogravure.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a printing process that uses an etched or engraved plate; the plate is smeared with ink and wiped clean, then the ink left in the recesses makes the print
- n. an intaglio print produced by gravure
- n. a printing plate used in the process of gravure
- n. the act of intaglio printing
Atsuko Maeda, 17, a member of idol group AKB48, on Sunday held an event to introduce her first "gravure" photo book at Fukuya-shoten book shop in Ginza.
In addition to her appearances in many best-selling AVs, she has done several "gravure" or glamour photo shoots and videos.
Mr. Petit, using the pseudonym Yvon, took exquisite postcard photographs of Paris that he had run off in England on a gravure press in lots of 10,000.
Using a record-sized camera they take color shots of the material to be reproduced, etch the exposures so obtained on copper plates, and use the plates for printing by the gravure process on an extremely thin paperbacked film.
"Traces" introduces a large body of new works from Leroux including froissées, peintures (oil on canvas with Leroux's burn technique), oil on paper with burns and gravure (engravings on zinc paper).
Meanwhile, at the Bronx Museum of the Arts, Aperture is adding to its celebrations of the 100th anniversary of the Mexican Revolution and the 200th anniversary of the Mexican Independence Movement with a satellite showing of 20 gravure prints from Strand's 1967 edition of "The Mexican Portfolio."
The gravure of an intaglio printing plate requires many months of hard work and eats up many tens of thousands of dollars per plate.
The problem was solved when John Crosfield developed the Autotron colour register control system, the first off-the-shelf system to guarantee perfect register on large gravure presses.
The pornography category used the Japanese グラビア, gravure, which starts at swimsuit models and ends at … Actually, the Japanese term can refer to respectable portrait or clothes modelling, but I suspect that that is not what people are watching!
Though, there's nothing plus-size about Japanese idol gravure model Yuzuki Aikawa and she is nicknamed "Burin" (piggie) just because she likes collecting pig figurines - seems a trifle unfair.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.