American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Any of various chiefly arboreal African monkeys, primarily of the genus Cercopithecus, having long hind legs and a long tail.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A French name, very generally adopted as a book-name, for the old-world monkeys of the genus Cercopithecus.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Zoöl.) Any of several long-tailed arboreal African monkeys, of the genera Cercopithecus and Erythrocebus (formerly classified as Cercocebus), such as as the green monkey (Cercopithecus callitrichus) and grivet (Cercopithecus griseo-viridis).
- n. small slender African monkey having long hind limbs and tail and long hair around the face
- French. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Jonathan Kingdon's sketches of African guenon monkeys.”
“Other globally threatened species include eastern chimpanzee Pan troglodytes schweinfurthi in the only place where its range overlaps with the gorilla's, l'Hoests guenon Cercopithecus lhoesti and African elephant Loxodonta africana which are estimated at 30 individuals.”
“Other primate species include black-and-white colobus Colobus guereza, red-tailed guenon C. ascanius schmidti, blue guenon C. mitis mitis, vervet C. aethiops, and olive baboon Papio anubis plus nocturnal prosimians.”
“The African elephant (Loxodonta africana), chimpanzee (Pan troglodytes), Sclater's guenon, white-throated guenon, and crested genet (Genetta cristata) are all classified as endangered.”
“A new species of guenon (genus Cercopithecus) from Gabon.”
“A guenon was howling in th Tropic World indoor rainstorm.”
“This month, I've settled on three candidates: the night monkey, Hamlyn's owl-faced guenon, and the saki monkey.”
“I vote for the Hamlyn's owl-faced guenon, as I tend to vote for the underdog.”
“The Nigerian Lowland Forest ecoregion contains much lower rates of plant and animal endemism than other West and Central African lowland forests, but has one important endemic primate, white-throated guenon (Cercopithecus erythrogaster).”
“Though the Nigerian Lowland Forests ecoregion is relatively small and the rates of endemism are quite low it contains five endemic animal species, including an endangered primate, the white-throated guenon (Cercopithecus erythrogaster), as well as chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes) and elephants (Loxodonta africana).”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘guenon’.
Words to quiz the intermediate and advanced speller alike
"In zoology and botany, a name (other than the technical name) of an animal or plant found only in scientific treatises—that is, not in use as a vernacular name. It is often a mere adaptation of th...
big ones,small ones,as many as
I can find
Words that, at the I put them here, weren't being listed by anyone else in the entire universe.
in the Century Dictionary definition of 'menhaden' there is a misprint - I speculate- o 'qreen-tailed'for green-tailed. BUT there are alot of odd-tails out there..............
Looking for tweets for guenon.